The holidays are a special time of year in New York City. The following are some of my favorite things to do with my family.
1. Decorate our Christmas Tree- an annual holiday tradition. We play Christmas carols and take out our box of ornaments which we keep adding to every year- we even have some of my mother’s mother’s ornaments! We also love making gingerbread houses.
2. See the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. It’s so festive and special. Every year when the tree grows it seems more miraculous than the last year!
3. Have “dunch” at BG restaurant at Bergdorfs with my daughter- (My 8-year-old daughter named our late lunch/early dinner, “Dunch” when she was 4 and we still call it that). We love walking around the store which is so beautiful at Christmas time and trying on clothes together.
4. Listen to Christmas carols- so many churches around NYC are so beautiful. A few of my favorites are Saint Thomas, St. James, and the Church of the Heavenly Rest. They have beautiful caroling concerts. This year my son sang carols at his school play which was so special. My daughter was one of the three kings in the nativity play.
5. Walk through Central Park from the Upper East Side down to the Southside and look at the lights come on in Central Park South. If you have more time, keep walking down Fifth and look at the beautiful tree at Rockefeller Center, and then the windows at Saks Fifth Avenue.
6. Ice skating at Wolman rink or hockey games at Lasker Rink - I love skating with my children in Central Park and watching their winter hockey games.